I basically sum up this article in 8 facts……
- This is the gun that has claimed 170 American and British soldiers lives.
- The Steyr HS50 is a long range, high precision .50 caliber rifle.
- The rifle can pierce all body armour from up to a mile and penetrate armoured Humvee troop carriers. It is highly accurate and fires a round called an armour piercing incendiary, a bullet that the Iranians manufacture.The National Iranian Police Organisation bought the rifles allegedly to use them against drug smugglers in an £8 million order placed with Steyr in 2005.
- The company was given permission to export them by the Austrian government, which is not a Nato member
- More than 100 of the.50 calibre weapons, capable of penetrating body armour, have been discovered by American troops during raids.
- The guns were part of a shipment of 800 rifles that the Austrian company, Steyr-Mannlicher, exported legally to Iran last year.
- The sale was condemned in Washington and London because officials were worried that the weapons would be used by insurgents against British and American troops.
- Within 45 days of the first HS50 Steyr Mannlicher rifles arriving in Iran, an American officer in an armoured vehicle was shot dead by an Iraqi insurgent using the weapon.
Not to mention what they found out about the IED’s in Iraq.
I just have one question? What does Goerge W. Bush do now? Sit on your thumbs and pray for diplomacy? after it’s already too late anyway