Iran’s leaders continued their rhetoric today with a parade showing off their so-called “military might”
Iran on Saturday showed off a longer-range missile in public for the first time and proclaimed a string of anti-Israel slogans in a major military parade amid mounting tensions with the West.
The missile — Ghadr-1 (Power) — was said to be in development by Western experts, but its appearance at the climax of the annual military parade to mark the start of Iran’s 1980-1988 war with Iraq was its first public showing.
The official announcer at the parade told reporters the weapon had a range of 1,800 kilometres (1,100 miles), sufficient to put US bases in the Middle East and Iran’s arch enemy Israel within reach.
And some notable quotes that came from Khomenei and Mohammad Ali Jaafari, the Commander of the Revolutionary Guard:
- “The Iranian nation is ready to bring any oppressive power to its knees,” – Khamenei
- “Death to America”
- “Death to Israel”
- “Israel should be eliminated”
- “No Iranian Muslim, no Muslim recognises Israel”
- “Israel has to be wiped off the map,”
- “They would surely have a bitter experience in Iran, which is the cradle of defence civilization.”
- “Their material capabilities are better than us, everyone knows it and we admit it. We are responding to technology not with technology but with special methods and tactics,”
- “Iran is an influential power in the region and the world, and the world should know that this power has always served peace, stability, brotherhood and justice.”
How bout we parade 20 b-2′s to Tehran. That would shut them up.