Another clear reminder of who your real enemies are.
UNITED NATIONS – For the second time in two months, Libya on Thursday blocked the U.N. Security Council from condemning violence and unrest in the Middle East.
The move came after a gunman entered the library of a rabbinical seminary in Jerusalem and opened fire on a crowded nighttime study session, killing eight people and wounding nine before he was slain. Israeli defense officials said the attacker came from east Jerusalem, the predominantly Palestinian section of the city.
Zalmay Khalilzad, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, said the obstruction undermines the council’s effectiveness in the region.
“What happened today was clearly a terrorist act,” he told reporters after the council’s almost two-hour emergency session. “We regret that this makes it difficult for the council to contribute positively to developments in this region, but those who blocked this possibility bear responsibility for that.”
The United States had proposed a press statement, which carries less weight than a formal resolution, condemning a day of violence that included not only the seminary attack but also a deadly ambush of an army patrol near Israel’s border with Gaza. Palestinian militants set off a bomb, blowing up an Israeli army jeep and killing a soldier.
In closed-door discussion among the 15-nation council’s diplomats, Libya insisted the statement should be “balanced” by including condemnation of Israeli actions in Gaza, a Libyan U.N. representative said after the meeting.
- Palestinians lob rocket after rocket, indiscriminantly.
- Israel shows restraint
- Palestinians keep lobbing Qassams into Sderot
- Israel Shows restraint
- More and more rockets fall, day after day, week after week
- Israel still shows restraint, threatens to defend itself.
- Rockets still don’t stop
- Israel moves into Gaza to defend itself, clashes ensue.
- Abbas claims no peace talks, retracts, then retracts again, then changes mind AGAIN. Wants cease fire
- Israel pulls back
- Terrorist murders 8 Jewish civilians cold-blooded
- Libya says it was justified…